New computer toy
Today I got an iBook. It's one of the older ones (it runs a 900 MHz G3), but that's ok cause I didn't want to spend much money.
Don't worry--I am not planning on dumping my trusty Linux box any time soon. But I've been wanting a loptop for a long time, and I'm about to go on a trip, and I've been curious about OS X for a long time, so there you have it.
My immediate goals with the thing are:
- Get it to share files with my linux box
- Customize its installation of EMACS (right now all I can do is run it a terminal window)
- Get it to talk X windows with my linux box
- Get iTunes to recognize the mp3's on my linux box
- Try writing some simple programs on it
- Learn about Darwin, start hacking around with it, and see how deep the rabbit hole goes
I've been looking around the web for some kind of Mac OS X documentation that would appeal to a geek like me. I googled for "mac OS X for linux geeks" and was rather stunned to find Mac OS X for Unix Geeks (an O'Riley book). Ask and ye shall receive, I guess, although I was hoping for some information online. I'll probably go down to Powell's Technical and pick it up tomorrow. Any suggestions on other resources from my OS X friends? I know you're out there...
Current Mood: pleased