In dork news, I spent pretty much the whole weekend writing Emacs code. Those of you who use the one true editor may be curious to know that I have now completed version 0.1 of Nxml mode. It's a major mode for editing XML files. I wrote it cause I was unhappy with Emacs' built-in XML support (which is built on top of SGML and therefore very confusing to use IMHO). Well, actually, the real reason I wrote it was because I am a dork. It was a lot of fun.
This is actually a project I've had going for about a year, but I had some inspirations about how to do in last Thursday, so I decided to rewrite it from scratch this weekend. In the unlikely event that you are interested in beta-testing it, you can download it here.
I was amazed to look at the source file this evening and realize that it is 139k. If you suck out all the whitespace, it's down to 101k, which must mean I personally typed well in excess of 100,000 keystrokes this weekend. I guess it's not all that surprising if you consider it in keystrokes per second, but still, geez. No wonder I get RSI's every now and then.
I'm also amazed to realize that gzip zips it down to 37k, which means that each of those keystrokes carries less than three bits of information.
Ok, no more dorkiness for now.